- He has a pretentious style of writing, using four very difficult words where one simple one would do.
- I found Susie unbearably pretentious.
- The restaurant is stuffy, pretentious, and ridiculously expensive.
- Although the decor may be quite formal, there is nothing pretentious about the food, which is down-home wonderful.
- Bangers and mash is better than pretentious nouvellecuisine, though you can probably be a little more original!
- He complained that my titles were vague and pretentious, and smelt of the blue-stocking.
- He might be pretentious in other ways, but he was not posing at the keyboard.
- It may seem pretentious to say so but it is intended in Gramsci's terms as an organic intellectual work.
- So Princeton looked good for college until I met their pretentious admissions rep.